Monday, July 19, 2010

Birthday Time

Eleanor's 4th birthday is tomorrow, however we had my family in town this past weekend for her birthday party. It was in the 90's and very humid, so we ended up inside for the party. Also, Eleanor had chosen to have spaghetti and meatballs, so that is not really an outside meal for 90+ weather! I was able to complete most of the projects for her birthday. The table runner turned out great, except I ran short on time so I did not actually quilt and bind it - I figured I can always go back and take care of that.




I had also planned on a tiered polka dot cake, however as a result of scheduling conflicts and what not, it turned out there was only going to be 7 of us. A tiered cake was going to be way too much, so I just did a simple layer cake. Eleanor wanted a purple cake so I just added white polka dots to that. She was thrilled with it.
I had planned on making her a twirl skirt with the Candy Land fabric I found while in Lancaster County, however Eleanor really wanted a pillowcase dress. I am very happy with how it turned out, and it met E's new criteria that all dresses must be long.


Eleanor received lots of wonderful gifts, one of my favorite being new cowboy boots. They are sadly too big, however we will exchange them for a smaller size and hopefully all will be well. I absolutely love them and hope we can find a pair that fit. It is so hard to order shoes online!
I was not able to finish the doll I mentioned earlier for her party. To sew on the hair, you need a 5x8 pad of paper. Simple, right? Nope, not for me. It took me way too long to find a pad that size. I finally headed to Office Max and easily found what I needed. Our Office Max is near a major shopping area and I just do not love going over there, the traffic makes me crazy. Not finishing the doll was no big deal, it is not like she noticed:) We are having some friends and their kids over for cupcakes next Sunday and I am figuring I will give it to her then - or have it done really early for Christmas. The quilt that goes with the doll has not even been started, it will be a Christmas gift!
I have now started working on some projects for me. I have my June and July Table Runners to complete and also 2 blocks for my Christmas quilt. I am really excited to get back to these. I also need to start working on school clothes for Eleanor. In the fall and winter I tend to go to Target and WalMart and stock up on leggings, long sleeve t-shirts, turtlenecks and jeans. I then make dresses, tops and skirts to go with them. This way I can get more mileage out of all of her clothes. It is hard to believe it is almost August and before we know it school will start!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

You have a beautiful blog, I just added you to my favorites list.

Linds said...

cute cake! thanks for the sweet comment on my blog regarding all of the stuff going on with our sons kidneys. The appointment went well today, I just haven't had a chance to blog about it yet. Thanks for stopping by!

Shelley said...

How FUN! I am loving this blog hop! Thanks for visiting my blog :) I love Eleanor's cake's and wish you had a picture of her dress and boots since we are from TEXAS! I do blog redo's for people that I run across because I LOVE, too and would LOVE to do one for you with sunflowers if you would like... just email me (sdhale.at.embarqmail.dot.com)

I am not a professional but LOVE to play with blogs and do my friends and my own and others I run into!!!

Happy Tuesday!!!

Shelley said...

CUTE, CUTE dress! LOVE it! Thanks for posting the picture. Her boots are adorable, too. We are having our family portraits done this weekend in our boots and bright shirts. I cant wait! Did I mention before I LOVE the cake, too? You are so talented!

Erica said...

Everything is adorable, especially that little girl:-) Thanks for stopping by my blog!