Sunday, July 4, 2010

Vacation and Fabric Shopping

Eleanor and I just returned from a wonderful week at a lake in Northern PA and a great visit to Lancaster PA. My mom was kind enough to join us which made traveling with an almost 4 year old so much easier. Our four days at the lake were just wonderful. Eleanor loves to swim so we spent each day swimming, fishing and boating. It was so restful and peaceful.
After leaving the lake we headed south to Lancaster. This is a trip I have been eager to do for quite some time, however I knew my husband was not interested. Since Eleanor is my Mom's only grandchild, I knew she would be all to eager to join us for a trip we have brilliantly named "Girls Trip 2010". I love listening to quilting podcasts and one of my favorites is Jean at The Quilted Cupcake. She frequently travels to Lancaster and has fabulous podcasts about all of her great discoveries. I emailed her before the trip and she gave me some great places to go. We first went to Intercouse PA and headed to the Kitchen Kettle Village. This place is a bit touristy, however it was perfect for what we needed. They offered buggy rides, pony rides, a petting zoo, and the Amish doll equivalent of Build A Bear. This provided plenty of things for my Mom and Eleanor to do while I visited some wonderful fabric shops. One of the stores that Jean had suggested was Zooks. This was right around the corner from Kitchen Kettle Village, they do have a website that is linked to their store, however it is out of a different address so I am not sure. The amount of fabric is unbelievable, I was in awe. I was surprised to find that all of the fabrics I found were $6-$7 per yard and are current fabrics. I did some searching today and discovered that I would have spent $85 plus shipping for what I purchased at Zooks for $61.08. Hello fabulous deal! Here are my Zooks finds

I am got some pairs to make a top for Eleanor with matching pants out of the following three sets

I am not sure exactly what I will do with this, either a nightgown or a cute skirt for Eleanor
For me, this was a big score. I found this panel with THREE trick or treat bags for $4. Yes, $4. I love the slightly vintage look of it.
I did not end up buying any fabric for quilting. I had figured that I have joined a block of the month club and a runner of the month club, so those should keep me busy! I am also headed back to Lancaster in a month or two with one of my good friends for a long weekend.

The other store I visited was The Old Country Store which was also in Intercourse. They also have lots of beautiful fabric, however I really did not need anymore. I did find some great cookbooks there and also some adorable coloring books.

While in Kitchen Kettle Village we decided to go on an Amish buggy ride. Usually my Mom and I do not do these things, however the drive in Eleanor was in awe of the buggies. So, we decided it was something that she would enjoy. Our driver, Abram, let Eleanor and I sit up front so she could help drive. To say she was excited was an understatement! Our ride was 35 minutes and it was through many little back roads that we would not normally ride through. It was really much better than I thought it would be. Abram was very informative and had all kinds of bits of info that I found very interesting. I can honestly say I would do this again.

Now that we are back I am making all kinds of plans for my new finds. Of course, I just realized that Eleanor's birthday party is in two weeks. Yep, two weeks. So, I must get cracking on her gifts. I am going to make her this doll and use fabric scraps to make the clothes and also a quilt for the doll. I also still need to bind her birthday runner and finish her outfit. So, I perhaps have a bit too much planned! I have scaled down my plans for her cake so that will be quicker. The good thing is, at the end of the day, she is going to love her party no matter how much of it I get done!

2 comments:

Sew Many Ways... said...

Looks like you had a great time and fabric shopping on top of it!! I love all the great prints you purchased. Good luck with your "to do" list for your daughters party!

Tiffany said...

Your photos looks so peaceful! I just love boating. I ADORE your fabric, too!!