Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fall Decorations

I have not blogged in quite some time, primarily because my camera was dead. The rechargeable battery would not hold a charge. Often, I would charge it for hours and within 5 minutes it was dead. The fact that I have created this blog as a scrapbook of my crafting, not having pictures made posting seem irrelevant. I have been working on/finishing up many projects. Rather than have one long, boring post, I am going to spread them out over the next week or two.
One of my favorite websites is You Can Make This and their other site The DIY Dish. Recently, on Episode 3 of Season 2, they talked about making witches hat out of styrofoam cones. Eleanor watched this episode with me and has been obsessed with making these hats. We headed to one of our local craft stores today to get the necessary supplies. My plan was that we would each make a hat, and I also wanted two extra to do another project. Upon finding the styrofoam cones I realized the size I needed was $4.50 each. That meant I was looking at $18 for a simple craft, and I knew I still needed other things. After searching for a bit, I came upon these paper mache cones that were $1.00 each. Now that is a craft I can get behind!
My idea for the other two cones was to paint them ,glue leaves on them, and create something for the mantle. I found the packs of leaves for $.35 each!


I spray painted two of the cones black and two of them a dark green.
Dinner, bath time, and bedtime came before the black was fully dried, so Eleanor and I will work on our witch hats later this week.
After the green cones dried, I sprayed them with adhesive so that I could put tissue on them to cover bare spots. Not sure this step mattered in the final product.
I then broke out my wonderful glue gun and began covering the cones with the leaves.
A this point, I must confess I was thinking that this was not looking that great! Here is the finished product on my living room mantel. Once getting them on the mantel and arranging them, I honestly have to say that I am happier than I originally was with the finished product. I have 4 soup bowls and a tureen from Williams Sonoma that are pumpkins. I decided that I would try and use them for decorative purposes this year, rather than only when we have soup. The middle shelf of my plant stand was empty, so I sprayed an old coffee can and filled it with leaves. Our main entrance and stairs are to the left of the fireplace, and therefore I am limited regarding the size of anything that can go there. Also, as you can see under the plant stand, our air return vent is right there which also dictates what I can put there. I would love a bench there for backpacks and shoes, however it just will not work.



2 comments:

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Very clever Christine. Glad you got your camera situation solved. Fun project.

Shelley said...

LOVE IT! Those are so cute and cheap... Might have to try it :)