Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Autumn Nutmeg Chicken

I happen to have a strong love for my slow cookers.  Yes, that was plural because I own four - my husband's friends Mom is going to give me more.  They all range in sizes from really small to really big.  I love slow cooker meals.  If I could make dinner in one every night, I would.  My husband, not so much.  I tend to use mine year round.  They are great in the summer when we have been out all day and I do not want to cook.  Along with my love of slow cookers, I also love Gooseberry Patch books.  They always have great recipes and craft ideas.  One of my favorite Gooseberry Patch books is the "Slow Cooker Recipes" cookbook.  I made this for dinner last night and thought it was fabulous.  I did not take a picture so I copied a picture from another site. 


6 boneless chicken breasts
1 to 2 T oil (I used olive)
1 onion, chopped
1/4 C fresh parsley, minced
2 10 3/4 oz cans cream of mushroom soup (I use fat free ones)
1/2 C sour cream (I use fat free)
1/2 C milk (I use fat free)
1 T nutmeg (I grate mine fresh, it is so much better)
1/4 t each dried sage, rosemary, thyme


In a skillet, over medium heat, brown the chicken n oil; reserve drippings.  Arrange chicken in bottom of slow cooker; set aside.  Saute onion and parsley in drippings until onion is tender.  Add remaining ingredients, mix well and pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on low setting for 5 hours until chicken is done.  Serve over cooked rice.

I absolutely loved this.  Eleanor is not into the sauce on her chicken, so I simply cut up some and served hers with the rice.  For us I poured the sauce over the rice and chicken.  I did not brown the chicken because I forgot to defrost it (common problem here).  I have always read to add 2 hours to the cooking time when using frozen meat, however this was still done in 5 hours. 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I am going to have to try that recipe! I love a slow cooker, too!