Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thanksgiving Corn Pudding

I am having a great time looking at lots of fabulous recipes on blogs as we enter the holiday season.  Today I am linking up to a couple different blog link-ups.  I found this recipe in the Ina Garten "Barefoot Contessa Family Style" cookbook years ago and it quickly became a family favorite.  It is a bit rich so I primarily make it for special holidays and church potlucks.  I have adapted it a bit to fit my needs and availability depending on the season.  I have not made it since last Easter, so I found the picture below online.
1 stick unsalted butter
5 Cups corn, I use frozen because it is not fresh this time of year AND I am not cut 5 cups of corn off the cob
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 large eggs
1 Cup milk, I use 1% because that is what I always have in the house
1 Cup Half and Half
1/2 Cup yellow cornmeal
1 Cup ricotta
3 Tbsp fresh basil
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 Cup grated extra sharp cheddar, plus more for on top - extra sharp makes all the difference here

Preheat oven to 375, spray a 2 1/2 qt to 3qt baking dish.

Melt butter in a large saute pan, add corn and onions over medium high heat for 4 minutes, let cool.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, and half-and-half in a large bowl.  Slowly add cornmeal and then ricotta.  Add basil, sugar, salt and pepper, then add in corn mixture and grated Cheddar.  Pour into the baking dish, then sprinkle remaining cheddar on top.

Here is where I venture away from Ina's recipe, which is odd because I tend to think of her as the Goddess of cooking.  Anyway, Ina calls for the dish to be placed in a large pan that is filled up halfway with hot water and to bake for 40-45 minutes.  This has never worked for me.  Ever!  So, I forgo the large pan of water and bake it for about an hour.  In fact, I always bake it for 45-1hr depending on if I am making Turkey or Beef at Christmas.  It is done when a knife comes out clean.

Stop by Beauty and Bedlam and Blessed with Grace for some other fabulous recipes!

Thanks for stopping by!  Please leave a comment so I can be sure to check out what you are cooking up this Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

followingsplendor said...

I make a version of this--it is a family favorite--only mine has a lot more sugar--I want to try this recipe--it looks great!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

We would love for you to link up to This Week's Cravings. This is a great dish for Thanksgiving.

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2010/11/this-weeks-cravings-3-and-easy-homemade.html

Lisa said...

This sounds like an excellent dish to have at Thanksgiving. It would look so pretty too.

Amy said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe!