Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Loving Decor

*Disclaimer - my living room is not lilac, the walls are a taupe, I just cannot get the lighting right with my camera*
I do not know about you, however I have really taken to decorating for Valentine's Day over the last few years.  One of the main reasons is that I LOVE decorating for Christmas, however when it comes down I am always so disappointed - everything looks bare.  Well, I have tried decorating for winter however that is not working for me.  So, Valentine's Day has become quite a hit at our house!  The funny thing is, Matt and I never actually celebrate Valentine's Day:)
I know many people have done their version of the Pottery Barn Love wall hanging.  Well, the design is not my style, however I did like the overall idea.  Inspired by ideas I have seen on many blogs, here is what I did
 I bought the letters at JoAnn along with the scrapbook paper.  I traced the letters onto the paper, cut it out, and then just ModPodged the paper on.
I also knew I wanted something on the other side of our window.  I bought 4 extra sheets of the scrapbook paper and then searched for some 12x12 pieces of wood.  JoAnn wanted $5 for each which seemed a bit silly to me.  So, I headed to my local Lowes and found Steve and Casey - my favorite 2 guys in the lumber department.  They helped me find at 2x2 piece of wood  for $1.97 and they cut it into 4 12"square pieces.  I decided to leave my little tabletop tree out and picked up some hearts to decorate it.  I think we may start decorating this for each season/holiday.

 Here is the finished look, notice somebody was able to poke her little head in the picture.  I am very happy with how this has turned out.  As you can tell, the window on this wall is higher up.  This makes putting things up on each side a bit tricky.  I never want it too high but the window is high.  I am not sure this is the best angle, however I really like the way it turned out.
 Ever since Christmas when my husband gave me my Silhouette, I have been wanting to do some of these blocks.  Once again I hit up Steve and Casey to cut up a 2x4 for me.  God bless their patience, the cut a 96" piece up into 4" pieces for me!  I then spray painted the blocks (in the basement, which caused a marital "discussion" later), cut out the letters with my Silhouette, and then ModPodged them.  Truth be told, I am not thrilled with this.  The letters are much smaller than I wanted them.  I am still getting used to the Silhouette, however when I tried going up to the next size, the M would not fit.  Overall I like the idea so I will just mess with it for Spring and Easter. 
 I am almost finished with the fireplace mantel and will post when I am done.  I am linking up today to one of my favorite blogs Funky Polka Dot Giraffe, Thanks so much for stopping by!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I really need to get my Christmas down before I put up any Valentine's...hee hee =) Looks very cute!!!!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

E is so cute. I love that window. What great decorations. Steve is a keeper.

Lulu said...

I love decorating for Valentine's Day too, it's my favorite! I love what you've done with wood and paper, wow, I'm inspired!!

Lulu ;)