Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Topiaries

I got the idea for these topiary trees from The Idea Room.  I originally thought they would take a great deal of time to cut all the circles, so I decided to make them so I could have them past Valentine's Day.  I originally wanted pink, yellow and green, however JoAnn's only had these colors.  We have a weekday coffee hour at our church and many of the women knit and crochet.  So, armed with a big bag of felt, a cup and a sharpie, I arrived!  Lucky me, many of the women were so interested that they jumped right in and helped.  In less than 1 hr the circles were all cut!  That night I set down with a DVR'd episode of Downton Abbey on PBS, pins and the styrofoam balls.  The one thing I did learn was that I was pinning the circles to close together, in certain areas they look less like flowers.  I will remember this for next time, certainly an easy fix!  I picked up the clay pots, grass, dowel rod and ribbon at Pat Catan's.  I spray painted it all white (in the basement again I might add), put some styrofoam in the pots and added each topiary.  I really am very happy with these and hope to make more for the summer, fall, and Christmas.

I am linking up to the Too Cute Tuesday Linky Par-tay over at Funky Polkadot Giraffe.  Go check out Kyla's blog, she has some great stuff!

2 comments:

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

So darling. I have one just like it a friend made for me. It has lavender inside it somehow. I have it in my sewing room hung up. Love this idea.

Mormishmom @ Funky PolkaDot Giraffe said...

They are so pretty! Just finally stopping in to catch up! :)