Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spring Subway Art

When I first began sending my husband mass emails hinting (or plain out suggesting) that a Silhouette would be the best Christmas gift for me, this was one of the projects I had in mind! I just love subway art and I knew it was something I wanted to do for all seasons. I had originally planned on doing it on a canvas, however my favorite guys in the lumber department at Lowes were able to cut this piece of wood for me to size and the whole piece was only $4 and some change - cannot beat that!
This piece of pine is 18x24
In a previous post I mentioned how I had originally planned on painting the wood yellow and using white vinyl. Well, I realized in my last project that there was nowhere near enough contrast. I picked up a $2 paint sample at Lowes and painted the board green.


I then set out to design the layout on the Silhouette. I ran out of vinyl when I had only "singing" and "march" left to add! I picked up some Cricut vinyl at JoAnn's because I could not get Silhouette vinyl locally and did not want to wait to order it. My local Archivers does carry vinyl, however they do not carry white-I find this odd. The Cricut vinyl was fine, however the shade is a bit off and the texture is different.
I did have a blank spot so I decided to add a 3D flower that I made using some wall art that I am going to post this weekend. I still need to add 3 pictures to the frame I found in the dollar section at Target. They slots are odd sizes so I am on the hunt for a good picture to crop. Also, I would like to wait and add a springy picture when I can take one outside. We are in NE Ohio and March is NOT spring, we are to get 6-10 inches of snow tonight!
I am linking up today over at This Blessed Nest Spring Fling , Funky Polka Dot Giraffe Too Cute Tuesday 
 Tatertots & Jello Weekend Wrap Up Party. and WhipperBerry Friday Flair. 








this blessed nest


Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!



5 comments:

Jen Avila said...

Cute! Makes me want to trade in my Cricut for a Silhouette! :)

this blessed nest said...

ohhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

you know i love an umbrella! i LOVE this subway art! it's awesome. totally captures all the thoughts of Spring.

thanks for all your support both for the party & as always on twitter!

you are the best!

xo
kellie

Shannon Willcutt said...

This looks so cute!! I am SO ready for spring...I can only imagine how much you are!!

Julie Anne said...

this is gorgeous... I want one! :)

Elizabeth said...

So pretty! Love the colors!