Monday, July 4, 2011

America Banner

I have always been a big fan of banners, however I have struggled to find one that truly fits the decor of my home.  My style is country/colonial/primitive and while I love the banners with fun papers and ribbons, and I have even done some, they don't fit in with my house overall.  I frequently, meaning daily, browse through back issues of Country Sampler Magazine.  This magazine has the best ideas for things you can make and some very affordable decor.  One of their old fall issues had a great Thanksgiving banner using burlap.  I decided I wanted to make one for the 4th, and suddenly realized I had less than a week.  Burlap was $1.99/yard at JoAnn last week and I had navy, red, and natural muslin on hand (excuse the bad photo)
I cut the burlap into 5.5x5 squares, folded over 1/2 inch, and sewed some natural colored grosgrain ribbon to it.  I then alternated navy and red squared that were 4.5x4.5, used my Silhouette to cut fabric letters out
I ironed the letters on to the red and navy after cutting the fabric.  While you are supposed to top stitch, I do not think the letters will wear off.  Here is the finished product
Here is a picture of the mantle from farther back. I am in the process of ordering a new picture for the mantle, I really don't like the three that are up there.  Well, I do like them but not in this room. 
I also recently found a huge quantity of boards in our garage, many of them are leftover from when the previous owner built the deck.  I have been busy sanding them down and painting them.  I printed off some letters using my Silhouette and vinyl, and created this sign for the living room
and here it is closer
I have some other great ideas, however they will have to wait for next year.  Have a great 4th!  We are off to the parade and then the fireworks tonight, hoping it stays cloudy but no rain!

I am linking this post up over at Sew Many Ways Sew Darn Crafty Party

3 comments:

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I love the banner. The last photo is so darn cute. Sweetness.

Shannon Willcutt said...

You are so creative and so talented!! How precious is that little outfit!! One day, I say, one day...I'll learn to sew...it may be for my grandchildren!!

Amy said...

Love the banner, its really cute!