Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Dress for Millie

Awhile back my friend Amy was talking about this great fabric that she bought to make a dress for her daughter and even knew what she wanted the dress to look like.  Now, Amy can quilt so, in my opinion, she can sew clothes.  I have been sewing clothing and accessories for a very long time and have only been quilting for a little over a year - in my opinion quilting is much harder.  Clothing can be fudged a bit and still work (at least kids clothing) but I have learned quilting has to be exact.  Anyway, Amy does not believe me that she can sew so I told her to mail me the fabric.  Here is the fabric, it is The Ghastlies by Alexander Henry
And here is the dress pattern
I absolutely love Carla Crim's patterns and I swear they are foolproof.  She uses simple measurements which means I don't have to get Eleanor to sit while I take 5 or so measurements.  Carla then instructs you how to adapt these measurements for a perfect custom dress.  If you have never sewn kids clothing before, these are the patterns to go with.  Carla also designs the patterns for Jennifer Paganelli's Sis Boom which are just as simple and wonderful.  
This was the first time I tried this pattern and I loved it.  I have a love hate relationship with buttonholes however this went smoothly.  Here are some pictures of the finished dress.

and since I don't feel you can have an outfit without a hairbow, Miss Millie will have a bow
I have so many plans for this dress for Eleanor for the fall and winter so I had Eleanor try the dress on to make sure it fit on a human and to see how it fit her, and since she loves to pose...


I cannot wait to make more of this, it is just too cute!

6 comments:

Sharon said...

That's awesome! What a cutie! :)

Robyn said...

That is one cute dress! And one even cuter little girl!

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness, that dress is absolutely adorable! She is such a cutie too! I want a dress made with that fabric too.

Amy said...

It turned out so cute, I cant wait to see Millie in it! Thanks for making that for her, Im completely inept at sewing clothes!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

She's so incredibly cute. I love love love the dress. I would never have thought to use that fabric. Perfection. I think one of the best memories of my childhood is all the dresses my mom made for me. Tons of them. I wish so much I had photos of them all.

eileensideways said...

she will be the envy of all her friends and their moms. that is the scariest fabric ever!