My original plan was to have 3 blocks like this
with one in the center and one on each end. Alas, my iron did not feel the same way. Here is what it did to one of my blocks
This little incident left my iron in a state of disrepair and really threw my plan for a loop. So, I decided to try offsetting the blocks on each end and using strips in the center. Here is what I came up with
Tonight I finished quilting and binding it and it survived its first wash! Here is the finished project
I decided to use a cream thread to make the quilting contrast the background, however I have mixed feelings about the result. In the strips I alternated horizontal and vertical stripes. This was the first time I made a runner that I did not follow a pattern for so I am quite please with the outcome.