Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fall Table Runner

 Last fall my sister ordered some fabric so that I could make her a table runner.  I kept figuring I had time to do it, yet here we are with fall just around the corner and I needed to get it done.  My sister and her husband have a modern sense of style, while mine is country/primitive so this runner was a big step out of my comfort zone.  Here is the fabric
My original plan was to have 3 blocks  like this 
with one in the center and one on each end.  Alas, my iron did not feel the same way.  Here is what it did to one of my blocks
This little incident left my iron in a state of disrepair and really threw my plan for a loop.  So, I decided to try offsetting the blocks on each end and using strips in the center.  Here is what I came up with 
Tonight I finished quilting and binding it and it survived its first wash!  Here is the finished project

I decided to use a cream thread to make the quilting contrast the background, however I have mixed feelings about the result.  In the strips I alternated horizontal and vertical stripes.  This was the first time I made a runner that I did not follow a pattern for so I am quite please with the outcome.

3 comments:

Amy said...

The runner came out great! You did a good job improvising when your iron decided to overheat and take your block with it. If your sister doesnt like it, you know where to send it!

Robyn said...

Love it, great job!!!

Sew Divertimento said...

What a great table runner! Great job improvising! =)