Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thanksgiving Dress

As I mentioned before, I absolutely love making holiday clothing for Eleanor.  I usually go all out for Christmas, however other holidays are worthy of at least a skirt and a dress.  I always make at least one dress using the Sis Boom Cathy Dress/Top by Carla Crim and Jennifer Paganelli.  I can always get at least 2 years out of this as a dress and a third as a top.  This dress also has space enough to hold a cute applique.  Last weekend we were at JoAnn, looking for fabric for a Thanksgiving dress, and I found this fabric in the baby section.  It was exactly what I wanted.  Simple enough but also says fall with the right colors

I knew I wanted to applique and turkey on it and messed around with a couple of designs (I am no artist) until I came up with one I liked.  I know this picture stinks since I drew it on hot pink tissue...
 One of the things I always found frustrating with applique is finding the right pieces.  If I do not have them in my stash I often have to buy fabric.  I rarely need more than a scrap so this can be a tad annoying.  Well I recently found this on Pinterest from the blog Noodles and Milk 
She used the small felt squares you can get at JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, Pat Catan's etc! Brilliant I thought, those are less than $1 each.  She says they do not run or shrink when washed - fingers crossed.   I cut out my felt and fused it onto the fabric.  Since the felt will not fray, I simply stitched about 1/8" in.  
Eleanor felt it needed eyes and a nose, so I stitched those on.  And here is the dress
I then sat down to come up with a matching hairbow.  I wanted to do something different than a basic hairbow and have seen lots of ribbon turkeys on Pinterest and I decided to try my own.  Here it is in Eleanor's hair, although it is fuzzy because she was dancing around.  
 
 Here is a close up of the turkey clippie.  It was quite easy to make, I just need to find a way to get rid of my excess glue around the face.
 

9 comments:

Brandie said...

Love it! =)

Rebecca Maples said...

LOVE your turkey!!! And Eleanor is pretty cute herself:-) good job!

Amy said...

Great job! Her dress & hair clips are so cute!

Sew Shine said...

ADORABLE! Such a cute set on a very cute model! She looks so happy! Way to go mom!!

Selina Marie said...

So cute!!! I love all the darling dresses you make for her. I wish I had done that for my girls.

Robyn said...

As always, adorable!

Shelley said...

So Super Cute!!!

Nanette Merrill said...

You kill me. You just kill me. She's going to be the best dressed girl in the history of her school!

Wandering Threads said...

Adorable!! If I ever had a little girl, I'd get you to make her clothes ;)