Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Twirl Skirt and T-shirts

Late last night I finished a skirt for Eleanor that I started before Christmas.  Just like the 2 previous items I blogged about, I had cut all of this before Christmas, however I was just not able to finish in time.  This is the  second time I made this skirt, the first was for Christmas
I struggled with this pattern a bit the first time, primarily because of all the different layers and trying to follow the directions. There is no problem with the directions, it is just one of those patterns that you have to make at least once to fully grasp.  Eleanor loved this skirt so much and really wanted another one.  This is a great skirt because it takes a yard or less each of 4 different fabrics.  The only problem I have found is finding 4 different fabrics that match and are a small enough for each print to be seen.  I searched at JoAnn before Christmas and found this line of 3 and added the polka dot to give me the fourth.  
I think this fabric will get us through different seasons because of the colors, and I also did go a size bigger because Eleanor loves longer skirts.  I also used two of the fabrics to applique a t-shirt to match and let her pick the design.  Here is the finished project
 not sure what kind of pose this is


 Another project I worked on yesterday was personalizing some t-shirts.  I have wanted an embroidery machine for such a long time, however I am not sure I can justify the expense of a good one.  Actually, I am sure I cannot justify the expense.  While messing around on my Silhouette SD yesterday, a light went on in my head.  I can use their iron on vinyl and make personalized t-shirts.  I always buy lots of long sleeve or short sleeve t-shirts at WalMart and Target each season for applique and as basics for other clothing I make.  They are an inexpensive way to add something to the different skirts and pants I sew for Eleanor.  Here are the 3 I made yesterday, they were so very simple and I love the results.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I love that skirt! I like the longer length too, it will be nice for winter and spring. Her tshirts came out so cute too!

Sharon said...

You are so fast! They all look great! :D

quilterliz said...

They are too cute! Nice job!

Sharon said...

Awwww - so adorable!

Nanette Merrill said...

The best dressed girl.

Julie S. said...

So cute! :) How was I not following your blog before? :)