Friday, January 23, 2015

Healthier Desserts

One of my biggest downfalls in eating healthy is dessert.  I love dessert, love anything sweet (I am eating a fabulous ice cream sandwich while writing this - fortunately it is a Skinny Cow).  I am always on the hunt for healthier desserts.  Here are some of my favorites (again, pictures are from the linked site - my food pictures are awful)








I cheat on this recipe, instead of making the crust and using the springform pan, I buy a graham cracker crust and just mix the filling and pour in there.  It is just as good and in my opinion so much easier.  Obviously it is not as pretty as the one pictured and if I am ever out to impress, then I will make the crust:)



If you have never visited the Glorious Treats site you are missing out.  If you need a dessert recipe, she has it.  Her cupcakes and icing recipes are phenomenal and so easy to execute.  You cannot go wrong with her recipes.  For this recipe, I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and the fat free cool whip.  It is such an easy dessert to prep in advance and you can do it at any time with any fruit.  


I mess with dessert recipes all the time to make them healthier.  I am not kidding myself to think they are healthy - but I am usually able to make them a bit better.  The one tip I have is don't ever use fat free cream cheese in lieu of full fat.  I have better luck switching to 1/3 less fat cream cheese.  That may not be the case for all, but it is for me.  



No comments: